Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Woes of IE 8 beta un-Installation

Finally I planned(got some guts) to evaluate IE 8 beta in my local virtual machines. After evaluating I wanted to rollback for IE 7 for SharePoint requirements. Rollback happened like a charm with out any hitches.

But after a few hours I got a crazy error message box, asking me to Abort, Retry & Ignore.



I checked my event viewer, there I found the following error under UserEnv category.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1041
Date: 10/14/2008
Time: 9:58:30 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: JD1E4K
Description:
Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C5DBFC5D} and it will not be loaded.
This is most likely caused by a faulty registration.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

After digging a lot, no resolution was found. Finally I took a backup of Registry and did a quick search using the GUID in the error message. It seems to be in the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions/

Delete the key and quit the Registry. Yeah done finally resolved the issue.

DISCLAIMER (As usual): Editing the registry may cause unpredictable problems in the machine, So take a BACKUP before proceeding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good call. Thanks.