Adobe's X series PDF editor and reader Acrobat X and Reader X now tightly integrates with SharePoint. We need to provide the OpenControl key in the DocIcon.xml and clients should use Acrobat X or Reader X to leverage.
Now it provides additional options like Edit Document, Check-in,Check out,Discard check out for PDF documents.
If I say Edit Document, PDF automatically opens the document in Reader X and also asks whether I want to check out
It also provides a UI cue for the checked out document too
Once the documents are checked out in MS Office suit, the document library page automatically refreshes to show the checked out icon but here that refresh is not happening.
How to configure SharePoint for this ?
- You need to add the following lines in DocIcon.xml
- You can find DocIcon.xml in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\XML
- Right click and save the above Acrobat PDF icon to your machine in the name of AdobePDF.png and copy it to folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\IMAGES
- Now do an IISRESET and let IIS load these new resources.
- Repeat all the steps in all of your web front end servers